'71 bus features

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jude7789

Reaction score
I'm currently in talks with regards to buying a '71 bus and I think I'm correct in saying there's a few peculiarities with this year of busses.
Is there a defining list of things which were specific to this year and if so what are they?
Is there a good buyers guide highlighting the specific years and features anywhere?
I'm assuming these 'special' parts are going to be rare and therefore herder/more expensive to buy?

First year of disks so calipers are one year only, although they can be swapped for later items.

If you start looking at dropped spindles etc again one year only item so little tricker.

There the items I've found so far. Not problems though and still gave the small back lights but with the benefits of disks up front,

Is there any issues with the likes of door handles/mechanisms and that type of thing I should be looking at or is everything fairly easily replaceable?

Only thing I have done in that department is get some spare keys cut (eBay) and swapped out a cab door mech ... No problems in sourcing either 👍

This book is an absolute goldmine of information and should answer all your queries.
https://www.crowood.com/details.asp?isbn=9781847974808

First year to get discs up front, with that comes the later 2 x 112 (small five) stud pattern and flat hub caps.
Front arches remain flat but the rears get a flare on.
Brake fluid resevoir is behind the nearside seat.
Rear valence is a two bolt fixing, not four (this may have come in in 70?)
If its a Westfalia there are some changes - the sink top loses the triangular support and is held up by a rubber stopper. Rear jump seat changes to an angled back with not so defined storage area. Rear side wood is a lighter shade than earlier.

Either way, none of it is a show stopper :)

Clem said:
Brake fluid resevoir is behind the nearside seat.

Not on my (UK) Jan '71. Could that be a US spec thing, or a mid model year change? :)

For Jude7789, I've had my '71 for over 10 years now. Never had a problem getting bits. Even the two year only ('71 and '72 are compatible) disc brake parts are easy enough to get, or replace with late bay parts.

From watching the posts, and from being down the garage with Nick working on busses and chatting to guys on the tools in VW dealerships back in those days, it would seem that most of the changes are not just confined to the year it was made. A lot of changes were made almost on a monthly basis. The big ones for certain markets like raised indicators and larger rear lights and better bumpers and disco braking etc were sometimes six months apart but little changes and improvements were and alterations to improvements we’re coming out as and when. Some changes were instigated to work better with previous changes like when discs were thrown on.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,keeps it entertaining don’t it ? :mrgreen:

71 panel (oct 70 I think ) South African
Brake reservoir under dash
Small five's :( but front discs :)
rear bumper brackets might different 71/72
I think my rear arches are slightly different , not flat but not the full 73 flare , although I don't know if they're original or not .
I think most things are normal, I think the way some parts companies list thing's 68-70 or 70-72 doesn't help , last issue I had was a clutch cable
so ordered one of each , and returned the one that wasn't right .
However I think thats the case for everyone , they're old vans they have been made good changed over the Years by owners and in the the factory , and somethings are just not what you think they should be..

My 71 has discs/servo/rear flared arches

Discs I just reused with the later calipers with adapters
Servo I replaced with a Brazilian one, been fine

Latest posts