Earlybay Timewasters on eBay!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21Window

Reaction score
Timewasters! So.....I've been an owner/driver of VWs for 25 years now....consider myself one of the old skool people, in for the VW not for the image & have managed in time to make it a hobby which pays the bills.....

Last week I advertised a Bay project I'd imported myself from the USA.

I put it on eBay for the money it owes me as the start price and it pretty soon it gets a bid...then gets lots of interest but after the auction end it is the original bidder as the winner..

My auction terms were 10% deposit upon close of auction, collection in 7 days, I can help with delivery blah blah....I clearly ask for NO DREAMERS OR TIMEWASTERS.....I can take as many pics as you like, answer any questions, any viewing etc....honest easy project sale.

So the auction ends....I send a message.......no reply........I send a request for deposit payment......no reply.....send another message... yep you guessed it, another request for payment.....then I give the guy a call....lol obviously shocked to hear from me and says....'Oh...yeah...look I'm at work at the minute and didn't realise (LOL) I'll look into this when I get home....' Did I hear from him? Nooooo....Sent a text...no reply....message on eBay....no reply.....request for deposit....nothing......

It will be the usual rubbish thing readvertising a van....saying eBay timewaster...didnt turn up....blah blah but just looks naff doesn't it?!! start a dispute blah blah

I'm taking this on the chin obviously but what really really disappoints me is that tonight I've found he is a regular member on Earlybay & other forums & in my opinion it's so not cool to do this to people, especially fellow VDubbers! I've been on here nearly 10 years now and would never do that to a people.

I've been done in the past and have managed by being careful to avoid situations like this but to do this, not reply, not offer an explanation...nothing....it is really low in my opinion.

Enough said :)

Name and shame, if he's that blasé and dismissive then the chances are it's not the first time.
I recently got fucked around by a clown on both VZI and now Earlybay, he put a 1776 up for sale, answered my questions straight away and I agreed to buy it, he agreed the price and I offered a deposit which he declined. I messaged him for an address and to arrange collection a couple of days later and nothing. Messaged again, nothing. Then the excuse he was called away for work and wasn't sure when he was back, said i understood and was happy to wait, the next excuse was "personal problems", said again I understood and there was no rush, then he stopped responding altogether.
Few weeks after he posted up another engine on SSVC and then ignored all the questions and posts asking for contact details from members on there.
In my opinion he never had an engine for sale, just a time-wasting prick desperate for a bit of attention. Sad, but they are out there and it's not just eBay unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

............But...I don't get it.....what is the point and what does it achieve? nothing....this guy seems to have a respectable job, but doesn't even give the usual, my child pressed the button crap, I need to withdraw my ad....just places a bid for £4.5k and then that's it not a whisper...

Sorry, but we have a busy life with our family and dont have time for stuff like this nor the time to do it to others!

A complete tool & I even spoke to him on the phone and he could've said 'it was a mistake' then.....yet he is busy on all the forums whilst being a fool at the same time to people on the very same forums!

DubBGood2Me said:
I've had a similar experience recently and it boils my wee wee.

Ebay don't seem to give a monkeys either.

Thats the thing mate, everyone says legal binding bid but it's not & they get negative feedaback and that's the lot!

Guys I totally agree with your comments. Maybe it's a "younger generation" thing all this time wasting, scamming etc. I am also old skool and stick to my word once given, life and leisure time is short enough without having to deal with Muppets. Sometimes we all make a mistake, say the wrong thing or even dare I say it, buy the wrong part! At least be honest enough to own up to the mistake and not blame others.

I recently sold a set of twin carbs on Fleabay, they were almost new units that I no longer needed. A price was agreed, was paid via Paypal then 3 weeks later I get a message from Fleabay telling me that they were refunding the guys cash including shipping! This bit will make you laugh and cry too....he stated that when he fitted the carbs they blew up his engine and as such required a full refund. I not only didn't get the carbs back or the postage but I also lost the cash price of the carbs too as it was taken by Paypal / Ebay from my account and paid to the tosser that bought the carbs.

Needless to say I didn't sell much after that via Ebay cos after a lot of communication they still sided with the buyer.

21Window said:
DubBGood2Me said:

Thats the thing mate, everyone says legal binding bid but it's not & they get negative feedaback and that's the lot!

It is legally binding, but that requires chasing them in court etc, hardly worth the agro

I think name and shame.

I've stopped using ebay for selling bits as I've been bitten a couple of times and, as p5bcoupe says, you lose the parts and the postage.

I'm happy so far to buy and sell on here as the one occasion when someone was selling and then not sending stuff was sorted out by Clem a few years ago. I did get ripped off by a guy from the 'States' but should have been warned that his only posting was to advertise parts for sale.

I work on the basis that I trust the other members of this forum and I would hate to have to change that view.

p5bcoupe said:
Guys I totally agree with your comments. Maybe it's a "younger generation" thing all this time wasting, scamming etc. I am also old skool and stick to my word once given, life and leisure time is short enough without having to deal with Muppets. Sometimes we all make a mistake, say the wrong thing or even dare I say it, buy the wrong part! At least be honest enough to own up to the mistake and not blame others.

I recently sold a set of twin carbs on Fleabay, they were almost new units that I no longer needed. A price was agreed, was paid via Paypal then 3 weeks later I get a message from Fleabay telling me that they were refunding the guys cash including shipping! This bit will make you laugh and cry too....he stated that when he fitted the carbs they blew up his engine and as such required a full refund. I not only didn't get the carbs back or the postage but I also lost the cash price of the carbs too as it was taken by Paypal / Ebay from my account and paid to the tosser that bought the carbs.

Needless to say I didn't sell much after that via Ebay cos after a lot of communication they still sided with the buyer.

:shock: :shock: :shock: That is ridiculous! That's my point nothing I can do nor any point in trying but why even do it in the first place? That dude is probably driving around with your carbs anyhow!

davidoft said:
21Window said:
DubBGood2Me said:

It is legally binding, but that requires chasing them in court etc, hardly worth the agro

Exactly Davidoft - not worth the effort and time it would take - you just tend to think - especially with forum members that there is a common ground and interest.

....I sold a car (non VW) on Ebay - and buyer bawked, saying he'd bought another car... Not a lot I could do.

So I reclaimed the costs off Ebay and relisted, and then had an Email from new buyer, saying he was in Poland - could he bid ?

I said no, seemed like too much hassle for a £800 car.

Long story short, he bid anyway, he won, another Pole collected the car immediately on flatbed,paid cash, deal done, easy.

Point is you never can tell !

(I since found out it's quite common for Poles to ship our old cars back to Poland...)

Yes very true! At least you got a response off that guy who turned up and paid and at least he wasn't a member on here which is where you'd expect the good guys to be!

I sold our Alfa to a Pole and exactly the same thing, turned up, paid cash and drove off happy :)

SiDev said:
Name and shame, if he's that blasé and dismissive then the chances are it's not the first time.
I recently got fucked around by a clown on both VZI and now Earlybay, he put a 1776 up for sale, answered my questions straight away and I agreed to buy it, he agreed the price and I offered a deposit which he declined. I messaged him for an address and to arrange collection a couple of days later and nothing. Messaged again, nothing. Then the excuse he was called away for work and wasn't sure when he was back, said i understood and was happy to wait, the next excuse was "personal problems", said again I understood and there was no rush, then he stopped responding altogether.
Few weeks after he posted up another engine on SSVC and then ignored all the questions and posts asking for contact details from members on there.
In my opinion he never had an engine for sale, just a time-wasting prick desperate for a bit of attention. Sad, but they are out there and it's not just eBay unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually...you are probably right and I think it's probably fair for those who might have the chance to take any offers of money or anything else with a pinch of salt so to say before going through what I have and probably others as well....

It was a user on here and thelatebay named 'danban' aka Dan Bantick and eBay user name dan bantick bant-da (29)

If your listing cars etc on ebay don't ever list as an auction or buy it now, only ever use the 'classified' option.

It's a set price, roughly 15-20quid, no ending fees, no idiot can press buy it now then change their minds.

You get as much coverage as ebay without so many of the gyppos you get on gumtree offering you corsas or to swap their dead horse and xbox for a beetle.

I've sold about 30 cars on ebay this way since 2003 without too much hassle.

When people see a classified, only the generally interested normally contact you. The 'have a go' auction or buy it now lot tend to ignore them.

I had the reverse on ebay as a buyer. 'Bought' a 205gti for above its reserve, couldn't get hold of the guy via ebay messages, ebay wouldn't share his number or do anything unless I'd paid in full by Paypal.

Like I'm gonna pay in full from 250 miles away! There probably wasn't even a real car for sale! Muppet.

It's just a pain, like I haven't enough to do as it is.....

Latest posts