New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ozziedog said:
Brilliant, just love a bus with a bit of chequered history. Looks very similar to mine colour wise and I got a picture just like that of the front of mine when I very first got him and my nephew made it into a fridge magnet and it sits on the dash under the radio. I got my bumpers a bit different too. Let's hope it don't take too long for the resto and be good to see you camping innit pronto! :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Looks in great shape :mrgreen:

Got some work started a few weeks ago and started a vlog series for the resto https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO1KhqOlzr_0Nw4rspjHsCYWZIu06xXuK Hoping to be camping in it by next show season! Any ideas where I can get lotus white paint off the shelf? Found a few sellers on Ebay but don't really trust them. Abi

Hi guys, I watched a bit of your video. I think you need to change your fuel pipes and your vent pipes and your filler pipe. Modern fuel will eat them from the inside out I'm afraid. The fabric covered ones are the scariest because you just can't see how rotten the rubber is on the pipes. I got all excited when the motor fired up but a bit scared too because of those naughty fuel pipes.. There is a lot of info on here about the pipes and the issues with modern fuel and ethanol in particular.

Ozziedog,,,,, good luck.

Enjoyed your video. Facial expressions priceless. As Ossy says get those pipes changed and get that filter out of the engine bay. Good luck and I hope the fun continues. Use this forum to the full. You get lots of good advice and most importantly it's always friendly.

Hi all! New to early bay.com, owned our 1971 Dormobile bay for 15 years and just come back from a week of camping. We're over on Anglesey, and now that we have two kids we're looking into making our vans sleeping arrangements better to house us all as the poor hubby has been kicked out into the awning.
We also have a 1973 twin slider bay still in resto and a fastback well past resto.
That's it really, so hello all!

Hi you guys, I'll wave across the water the very next time I'm down that way. I've nearly always gone solo wherever I camp as Mrs Ozziedog usually finds that she is needed by her coven when it's time to go camping. Mrs Ozziedog has had two one nighters in the camper in about ten or more years. Let's just say she is not a fan until I get room service organised and a shower and a loo and possibly a restaurant, plugging her hair dryer into the ciggy lighter just ain't gonna happen either. Now I've kinda got used to having all the space of a full width rock and roller to myself. So I started taking the grand kids first one then two and now with a new branch to the family came a third one. So eight twelve and fifteen and me. Camp is a large three metre by three metre gazebo on the side of my early. I can easily with next to no effort pack a four man tent which takes a double air bed and still has a bit of space and all three could go in there nicely in the tent and under the gazebo. That lasted for about twenty minutes before there's a knock on my slider from the middle one, so that night there was me and the middle one and the little one all in my bed and one was sick from way too many toasted marshmallows, so that wasn't happening again.
I made a ply bed that fits across the two front seats and is about as wide as up to the gear stick, just a sheet of quarter ply wich rests on the seats on one side and two unscrewable legs on the other side, add a self inflating mattress a pillow and a sleeping bag and that was sorted, he had his own little bolt hole to crawl into and originally we had a nice St George flag as his curtain and he thought that was heaven. The next bed was another fit together type thing across the top of the front seats so it had a square ally bar right across the dash and a suspended pole just above the bulkheads and we had one or two board bunks again in the cab with their little heads under the windscreen and their feet were unsupported but on the boards their feet overhanging into the cargo bay. Again self inflating mattress and pillow and sleeping bag, we only used one and we put a cargo net on the side so the little dude couldn't fall out and land on his brother. Plus we fitted the most hugest Devon bunk I've ever seen, I reckon you could sleep twenty in this one. It's narrow at one end and that end is half the width of the opening, the other end is wider and almost three quarters of the width of the opening into the pop top, now that's where the fifteen year old ended up with pillow and sleeping bag. And me on the rock and roller. The only real problem was not being able to do or get to anything in the van until everybody got up which was sorta lunchtime ish, fifteen year olds don't do mornings apparently. Now we got something new to do now, not sure how we is gonna work it but, I've bought (long story) an Amascador type thing for the back of the van. You open the tailgate and leave it open and this tent type thing goes over the tailgate and forms a small room with the tailgate as the roof. You've got to make your own base for it,like a suspended bit at the back so instead of rock and roll, I'll have a double bed behind the rear bench seat. Let's see how that goes. We is having a test fitting on the weekend with the little guys.

Ozziedog,,, ,,,, wish me luck

ozziedog said:
Hi guys, I watched a bit of your video. I think you need to change your fuel pipes and your vent pipes and your filler pipe. Modern fuel will eat them from the inside out I'm afraid. The fabric covered ones are the scariest because you just can't see how rotten the rubber is on the pipes. I got all excited when the motor fired up but a bit scared too because of those naughty fuel pipes.. There is a lot of info on here about the pipes and the issues with modern fuel and ethanol in particular.

Ozziedog,,,,, good luck.

We're in the process of moving the filter and changing all the fuel pipes to make it all a bit safer, won't be running her until everything is changed just wanted to hear her run after such a long time standing. Thanks for the advice, really appreciated! Thanks for watching Ozzydog & thejinx hoping to get Ep.3 up really soon :D

Hi all..after a while away Fri early bay were bused up and ready to rock!! 71 westy from San Diego...good to be back :D

streetboy said:
Hi all..after a while away Fri early bay were bused up and ready to rock!! 71 westy from San Diego...good to be back :D

Brilliant, sounds great ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so where`s the pics, come on ;)
And welcome back, and don`t take so long next time ;)
Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,You know the drill :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

Brilliant, sounds great ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so where`s the pics, come on ;)
And welcome back, and don`t take so long next time ;)
Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,You know the drill :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:
[/quote]

Cheers fella ;) And as requested!! Maiden voyage Fri to pershore the skip over to busfest Sunday!! be rude not to ;)

Now that does look nice, very nice indeed. I think the White Westy tribe will all like a little nose round this one. Looks like you done well. Busfest was a lot of shower dodging this year but still enjoyed it. Seemed to be a lot more nicky nacks this year, I was after a mechanical bottle jack but I didn't see one or even a hydraulic one . Looks like it might mean a visit to mr e Bay. That does look a nicely sorted bus.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,welcome Back :mrgreen:

Cheers Issues of ;) yeah were well happy with it! Surrey up to pershore Friday to see family made busfest for a couple of hours. Shame about the weather but nice to see a fair few earlies there :) and came away with a gas heater and some ideas ;) back home and no dramas. Now set the valve clearances...timing and carb as think a little tune will serve her well. Only snag is a little crunch sometimes 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 3rd...poss syncro on 3rd but maybe quick shift and linkage adjustment...hope so otherwise will need to pick brains for a good transmission man ;) brilliant to be back!!

Hi folks.
Just a quick hello, just joined and looking forward to getting stuck in.
39 year old guy from North-East Scotland looking to fulfill a long time dream of owning a nice bus now I've a wee bit of disposable income now the kids are in school.
Hope to get some knowledge behind me before I take the plunge and maybe get a steer in the right directon by the group, I guess you guys are the ones to ask!

Cheers.

AbiLewSav said:
ozziedog said:
Brilliant, just love a bus with a bit of chequered history. Looks very similar to mine colour wise and I got a picture just like that of the front of mine when I very first got him and my nephew made it into a fridge magnet and it sits on the dash under the radio. I got my bumpers a bit different too. Let's hope it don't take too long for the resto and be good to see you camping innit pronto! :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Looks in great shape :mrgreen:

Got some work started a few weeks ago and started a vlog series for the resto https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO1KhqOlzr_0Nw4rspjHsCYWZIu06xXuK Hoping to be camping in it by next show season! Any ideas where I can get lotus white paint off the shelf? Found a few sellers on Ebay but don't really trust them. Abi
definately get that fuel filter out of the engine bay, the best place for it is under the bus where the fuel tank output is

jude7789 said:
Hi folks.
Just a quick hello, just joined and looking forward to getting stuck in.
39 year old guy from North-East Scotland looking to fulfill a long time dream of owning a nice bus now I've a wee bit of disposable income now the kids are in school.
Hope to get some knowledge behind me before I take the plunge and maybe get a steer in the right directon by the group, I guess you guys are the ones to ask!

Cheers.

Hi there, and glad you could join us. I'm guessing you've found out or maybe knew that there is always something to be done with these older lovely beasties. There isn't much that hasn't been covered on this forum at least a half a dozen times. The main thing is maintenance, which to others might seem like constant tinkering, but when these were new the service intervals were something like three to five thousand as opposed to some modern jobbies where you can go to twenty plus thousand between services. So keep an eye on your oil and check before every journey until you get to know how much your particular motor will consume, and they will use some oil and usually the harder you drive them, the more you use. As a new owner I'd always start with an oil change and drive with a litre or so for topping up enroute.

Ozziedog,,,,,,, ask away, and welcome :mrgreen:

Evening all atfter what seems like eternity of saving I was finally able to buy my first air cooled so having a little’n I opted for a early bay deluxe a 1970 to be precise which was recently imported to the country by a chap from California which is as much as I know currently. After inspecting it at work (absolute VW) I was genuinely surprised at the solid state of the vehicle but like all USA imports the mechanical was lacking so I set to with my spanners and now currently driving it daily to test the realiability and it drives fantastic stock!!! I’ll attach a couple of pics of it below of it. So it’s a hello from me and catch you all soon.
Cheers Stu

Latest posts