SUNROOF QUESTIONS

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jude7789

Reaction score
Hi folks.
A complete newbie to VW busses but looking to buy one soon.
I'm currently in talks with a seller who has a really nice looking Kombi for sale.
One thing which came up in conversation was the canvas roof which is fitted currently.
Can anyone tell me anything about it, how it works, is it a slide back type, how does it operate etc.
Also how does it look from inside, is it exposed or lined?
Also am I likely to have problems with it as far as leaks and noise etc?
Here is a quick picture of the bus, hopefully someone can advise.
Thanks.

Looks like an aftermarket ragtop has been fitted to a steel sunroof model?

Paris Beetles did a lot of ragtop kits that people retro fitted to defunct pop tops etc and also when such things were in vogue. They can be lined internally and the fit and finish is down to how well it was installed. They shouldn't leak or create unbearable wind noise. And yes, they slide back and are normally 'poppered' into closed position.

I'll go out on a limb here, and suggest they are no longer a desirable item however, and should be used to negotiate a lower purchase price.

Ah so this isn't an original spec roof.
The seller has said he has a Westy style roof which he would throw in on the deal.
Is this an easy transplant to do, what would likely be involved?
To be quite honest I'd be happy enough with the sunroof as long as I'm not going to have problems with it leaking, quite like the idea of a huge sunroof 8)
I suppose finding parts might be an issue but I'd need to ascertain make and model first.

This is the type of roof he is supplying as part of the deal, I'm assuming it would be in two pieces, the full length of the roof and not just the front lifting section.

Hi, its worth checking if that was the original roof to the van, to ensure it will fit easily. Westys were initially built on sunroof models vans, so its likley I guess. The westy roof fixes to the roof of the van using its own brackets. You'll need a new canvas and some fixings, so allow £500? for that.

Worth considering, if a van has a sunroof cut into it now, then its a chassis modification that means you will lose 5 points from the MOT exemption criteria!

Thanks.
I'm assuming it was an original sunroof van but the original sunroof has been removed and replaced with the fabric sunroof, if that make sense? :D
Any way of finding out if it was originally fitted with a sunroof?
I suppose there must be otherwise how would the MoT exemption points be figured out?
I guess by looking at how the roof is fitted would show whether or not it was retro fitted or simply a replacement to the one originally there.
Beginning to think this might not be the right bus to kick off my foray into VW ownership. :roll:

I think I'm right in saying the M plate will tell you a lot about the bus and if it was this that or the other. There is also an M plate decoder that you can find with minimal search effort and this will let you decipher what was what originally. Sun roof vans were used as Clem says to build the Westy pop top vans. So possibly it had a Westy roof at one time and this was changed to put a sun roof in for one reason or another or the pop top was poor or they just liked the tin top look. Or it could have been a Westy with a factory sun roof that was changed to this for whatever reason, possibly leaking or poor operation at some time. Or it may be that it was never a Westy but someone has added some Westy bits at some time, but the M plate will tell you how it was originally almost fifty years ago.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,behind the seat I think :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: I just spotted something in the picture .Look at the PCD front to back ???????????????

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, HHhhhmmmmmm maybe walk away :mrgreen:

You're referring to the different wheels front and back?
This isn't a good thing then I assume? 😀

Realistically I don't think this is the bus for me, I'm homing in on another couple of options now anyway, in all honesty it's not what I'm looking for and distance is a major factor as well, I'm up in North East Scotland and the van is in the Norfolk area.

I didn`t look too much at the wheels, the hub caps / wheel trims suggested a different type of wheels front to back, and PCD is the spacing of the wheel studs and they appeared different front to back and now that you`ve prompted me , they are indeed very different. There may be a good reason but it looks half a job maybe.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good luck with the search :mrgreen:

I guess the wheel difference is due to a late bay disc conversion, but not matching it all up denotes a 'cba' attitude?

Clem said:
I guess the wheel difference is due to a late bay disc conversion, but not matching it all up denotes a 'cba' attitude?

Would that be Can't Be Assed by any chance ???
That's where I was sorta going but trying not to rattle anyone's cage.

Ozziedog,,,,,like it :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Clem said:

Would that be Can't Be Assed by any chance ???
That's where I was sorta going but trying not to rattle anyone's cage.

Ozziedog,,,,,like it :mrgreen:

:msn4: :lol:

Thanks fellas, I have now taken my search elsewhere.
In all honesty it would be too much for me to take on with me having no experience of these vehicles.
So the search continues...

jude7789 said:
Would this be the plate you're talking about?

For future reference that is not the M plate, but rather the chassis number/VIN plate.
Have a look at this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/id.php

Just for clarification purposes lads - I’m the owner of the van above and I certainly do not have a “cab” attitude. I am new to the bay scene and bought this bus with an intention to complete the Resto. Unfortunately circumstances changed and I needed to sell however I’m under no great pressure.

Since you have pointed out these things I have done a little investigating and have located a sunroof that will fit the hole that is there. All I need to do now is try locate mechanisms and rails etc. I gather these sunroof bays are more desirable.

With regards to the wheels I also have taken your lead and see that front end is indeed a late bay. I am on the hunt for an early one to put back to stock.

I’m probably going to do a repaint when I get the roof fitted too and bring the van back to original.

So I guess after reading your comments and being shocked regarding the derogatory inferences you have helped educate me and somewhat I can hope to gain knowledge from this forum. One thing for certain sure I have never had a CBA attitude about anything I have ever done in my life least not restoring auld busses 😀.

Latest posts