Drum brake star adjuster tool

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moseley said:
Not everyone wants to strip the entire mechanism down every time they want to adjust their brakes though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't need to do it every time. Just when you change the brake shoes/fix the leaking wheel cylinder/replace the broken spring.....

Or you could fit disc brakes, and never have to adjust them ever again.

K@rlos said:
Moseley said:
Not everyone wants to strip the entire mechanism down every time they want to adjust their brakes though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You don't have too if you do it properly. I've done it 2-3 times in the 10 years I've had my bus. It's general maintance to keep brake adjusters free... or you can leave it to start to seize (which I reckon yours are starting to do if they are that stiff) jam your glorified screwdriver in there and ring it off....

To be fair, the problem isn’t with the adjusters not being free, they were stripped and cleaned about a year to 18 months ago. The reason they are tough
to move is the little springy clip that prevents the adjusters backing off during use.

Having obviously now got said adjuster tool, the advantage of using it over a screwdriver is clear - the locating end is akin to a small flat head screwdriver, but it isn’t flexible like a screwdriver, and it is a lot longer than an equivalent small screwdriver. Also, the square profile means it is more stable inside the inspection hole so the tool doesn’t have a tendency to slip off the side of the adjuster.

You pays your money, you takes your choice - it’s a shit job to do so anything to make it easier is a plus in my eyes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slow-lane-Matt said:
I keep a spare star adjuster in tool box, so when adjusting can hold it up to wheel to check I am turning the bus's adjusters the way I intend to.

Maybe it's just me being thick, I lose my sense of direction when lying under bus and trying to relate moving star "up" with clockwise/counterclockwise, then clockwise/counterclockwise with opening or closing drums - which varies from wheel to wheel and adjuster to adjuster.
I had the same problem but I've put a couple of arrows in Tippex on the backing plates now to remind me which way to turn them :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

https://store.snapon.com/Automotive-Brake-Adjusting-Tools-Adjuster-Brake-for-VW-reg-Mazda-reg-Omni-and-Horizon--P636127.aspx

Had a couple of these for 15 years plus

Latest posts