Gearbox advice please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetboy

Reaction score
Hi all...get a little crunch 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 3rd but sometimes goes in if your gentle!! Wonder if poss quick shift and linkage (all new) adjustment but thinking more 3rd gear syncro issue?? In which case might need the nod for a good transmission man...based in Surrey. Thanks in advance for any advice ;)

First i would check the oil level and type. Make sure is full and you have the correct oil. Next, shifter and clutch adjustment and condition, shifter bushes and rod/ bushes lubrication. If all is fine, then probably the gearbox has issues.
Abel

Hiya and thanks for the advice ;) all bushes replaced by previous owner. It's an empi quick shift with the trigger for reverse. If I go through the gears when not running it deffo doesn't feel smooth...notchy? Especially on 2 to 3 so think it needs playing with. Know how finicky the adjustment is from my last bus. I'll go through everything step by step and God willing not the box!! Cheers Streeboy

Hi there, as said above by Abel, I'd check your lube first, mostly because it's a good thing to do anyway and you'll know it's done in the future. Before you ever drain the oil on one of these, check that you can get the filler plug out so you can put some nice new stuff in . But check first. I have come across gearboxes with absolutely no oil in at all and funnily enough they were both absolute swines to undo the filler. Sometimes you'll also find that some owners have gear selection issues but instead of just sorting out the problem and checking any adjustments and clutch adjustments etc, they think because it won't change gear properly, it needs a new sexy gearstick which is usually the last thing it needs. So then you have a further complication and someone starts adjusting the plate then no one knows what the hell is going on. Very few people just change their gearstick for the looks, generally it follows poor selection which starts this nasty little nature trail. :shock:
Apart from me that is, I've got the Ozziedog speedmonster MK 11 chromed beautifully shifter installed in my van and it is dream ;) ;) ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,oil first bud. :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Hi there, as said above by Abel, I'd check your lube first, mostly because it's a good thing to do anyway and you'll know it's done in the future. Before you ever drain the oil on one of these, check that you can get the filler plug out so you can put some nice new stuff in . But check first. I have come across gearboxes with absolutely no oil in at all and funnily enough they were both absolute swines to undo the filler. Sometimes you'll also find that some owners have gear selection issues but instead of just sorting out the problem and checking any adjustments and clutch adjustments etc, they think because it won't change gear properly, it needs a new sexy gearstick which is usually the last thing it needs. So then you have a further complication and someone starts adjusting the plate then no one knows what the hell is going on. Very few people just change their gearstick for the looks, generally it follows poor selection which starts this nasty little nature trail. :shock:
Apart from me that is, I've got the Ozziedog speedmonster MK 11 chromed beautifully shifter installed in my van and it is dream ;) ;) ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,oil first bud. :mrgreen:
Great advice ;)

Thanks for the advice ozziedog ;) not had time as yet to check gear oil other jobs to do!! but clutch seems within parameters...three quarters of an inch before taking up...think I'm right in saying that?? Hoping low on oil. Well see I guess cheers all :)

Latest posts