Plastic air ducts

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Low n slow

Reaction score
Went to a local car show last night and saw an early bay with these fitted. Do they actually do anything, like increase the airflow to the engine or are they just for show? Couldn't work out whether they were home made or manufactured. Made in clear plastic. Anyone know anything about them?

I've seen them advertised on Ebay a few times, I think someone in France makes them.

Most of the comments I've read reckon they don't help the airflow although a few reckon that they do.

My gut feel is that they would but the effect would normally not be noticeable.

They're called Earz and sold by Just Kampers

http://www.justkampers.com/earz-engine-bay-air-intake-t2-1967-to-1971.html

In my opinion having a scoop to help with the airflow of the engine can only be a bonus and at £22.50 you aren't breaking the bank.
On my first drive with them on my temperature gauge hardly moved.

There's quite a detailed thread on here discussing the increase in effective cross-sectional air flow when traveling at speed if you search for earz. Can't remember details, but isn't the airflow provided by the top vents actually doing very little for engine cooling - that is done by the fan and the general air flow underneath the van?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you blocked off the rear vents the engine would overheat. The fan is in the engine bay, which is separated from the airflow under the bus by the tinware and seals.
Air comes into the "cool" zone from the rear vents, and the fan then pushes it down through the tinware over the heads and oil cooler out into the "hot" zone.

pKUFe.jpg

aO3Lv.jpg

Moseley said:
There's quite a detailed thread on here discussing the increase in effective cross-sectional air flow when traveling at speed if you search for earz. Can't remember details, but isn't the airflow provided by the top vents actually doing very little for engine cooling - that is done by the fan and the general air flow underneath the van?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes,

I did the calculations for the ears, the airflow into the engine bay has no ram-air effect, the pressure inside the engine bay at speed will always be slightly negative as the pumping effect of the cylinder filling and cooling fan flowrate is significantly higher than the amount of air the vents will capture. With ears the air flow into the engine bay will approximately match with the required flow at 65mph; thus providing almost nothing, even more so given the fan and engine will not struggle to pull the required air in through the vents anyway.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=70527

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

Doing about half an hour of 55Mph on a sunny summers' day (around 25-28°C), my calibrated dipstick sensor shows my engine temps around 115°C, which is way too hot.
50Mph seems the sweet spot, letting my engine get to around 107°C.
Unfortunately, driving 50 is too slow and dangerous on highways, since every heavy loaded truck will want to overtake you. Not very safe. So I'm quite keen on being able to do 55 for an hour or two without blowing out my engine.

So having no money or time to take down my engine, I figured I tried these instead for the summer. I just bought a pair of earz last week from just kampers. I didn't expect too much, but they are quite effective. I'm not getting the 10°c mentioned before, but rather 6-7, according to my sensor. I frankly don't care about the theory, but my temps are lower.

They do look horrible, though,. And I keep bumping into them as I walk by my bus. Taking them on and off all the time doesn't seem like a good idea, as they do look quite fragile. You have to bend them quite a bit to make them fit. I was scared of snapping them in half.

Ive had them on my bus for a few years now. They do make a small but noticable difference.

Latest posts