Claiming back fuel cost on company car

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbear

Reaction score
Morning all, not at all earlybay related but thought I'd ask on here for some advice. Basically, the company I work for supply me with a company car (Toyota hilux) and also supply me with a fuel card, every month they charge my wages with the total fuel costs minus the VAT, am I entitled to claim anything back in tax relief etc? The vehicle is not used for personal use, I do approx 700miles+ per week so as you can imagine the fuel cost is quite high.

Cheers in advance, Brett.

Should be, the general rule is:

"In the case of a trade or profession the employer contributions will be deductible as an expense provided that they are incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the employer's trade or profession"

They could be other facts like mileage to and from work might not count.

I would call the tax office, and ask them the question, they are normally pretty fair and reasonably easy to get hold of...

I'm in a similar position and have to write a letter to tax office every year giving details of fuel expenses

Yeah I think I'd better speak to someone in the know then, the only stumbling block I can see is that technically the cost of fuel isn't taking directly from my wages but from 'drilling rig earnings' along with expenses and accommodation, whatever is left is paid as wages. So it does have an affect on my pay but it's a bit more long winded.

Latest posts