Who rebuilds Solex Carbs?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

type2tattoo

Reaction score
Good Morning Campers :) Hope you all had a great Christmas and I wish you all a Happy New Year x x x

I wish my bloody van would sort itself out :/ It has been suffering from the 'dreaded bog' as explained here.... http://www.vw-resource.com/hestate4.html

I have replaced everything except the carb and it's still shit :( so next job is to replace the carb, I have an old solex that needs help, any advice?

Many Thanks x xx

I have a solex that is freshly sonic cleaned, with a rebuild kit installed if your interested. £65 posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I looked into a few carb rebuilders

After seeing the long waiting lists and pricing for proper refurb I just bought one of the fully reconditioned ones from machine7.

24 hrs and it was on the engine. Most rebuilders have 3-8 wk wait.

Sold my solex to pay the difference between an m7 one and full cost of rebuild service. The m7 one can be passed off as new and works fine.

Yes it's not cheap but it's alot quicker and you can make some back selling yer old carb.

I didn't wanna wait 2 months

Let's have some pictures of the engine as it is now.

What distributor and carb are you running?

1600TP?

The most recent engine pics on your build thread show a 009 distributor, which quite commonly give problems with flat spots and hesitation... but the pics were from 2011 :shock:

September10192.jpg

:)

*Sam* said:
I have a solex that is freshly sonic cleaned, with a rebuild kit installed if your interested. £65 posted

Chhers :) Is it ready to fit and drive off with?

Tofufi said:
Let's have some pictures of the engine as it is now.

What distributor and carb are you running?

1600TP?

The most recent engine pics on your build thread show a 009 distributor, which quite commonly give problems with flat spots and hesitation... but the pics were from 2011 :shock:

September10192.jpg

:)

Thanks Toff ;) I still have a picture of a roof section on a car that I believe was you lol

I will get a pic later today x x x

It is currently set to the basic guid in the Bentley Handbook.
I can photo copy the page that details how you set the carb up if it would help, its very easy.

Cheers
Sam

*Sam* said:
It is currently set to the basic guid in the Bentley Handbook.
I can photo copy the page that details how you set the carb up if it would help, its very easy.

Cheers
Sam

Thank you Sam, I can set it up ok, is it a 31 pict 3?

This is the set up now, got a new vacuum advance dizzy and it's a 1600 LP TP :) oh and the carb is a cheap bocar? forgot :/ something like that

type2tattoo said:
Thanks Toff ;) I still have a picture of a roof section on a car that I believe was you lol

I will get a pic later today x x x

That was me ;)

I've still got the same bus 10 years on :D

type2tattoo said:
This is the set up now, got a new vacuum advance dizzy and it's a 1600 LP TP :) oh and the carb is a cheap bocar? forgot :/ something like that

I'd recommend fitting the correct air filter, with hot air feed, first. The one you have could cause poor running. I see someone has removed the support stand for the stock one, but you should be able to find a way to support it :)
Does the engine ever stall at junctions, or stutter and bog down worse in cold or damp weather? :)

A couple of other points, which are unlikely to be related...
The vac hose to the dizzy is meant to go above the level of the carb top, to prevent fuel from running down it. VW used a hard line to go up and then down in an upside-down U shape, but just supporting the rubber hose in the same shape will be fine :)
Many people don't recommend fuel filters in the engine bay, just in case it leaks or melts...

Finally, the dizzy is fitted 90 degrees round from usual... I think some distributors retarded #3 slightly relative to the other cylinders to reduce overheating. Again, this won't cause your stuttering problem.

Without sounding like I'm taking every opportunity to sell you my stuff.... I also have an air filter.

I would think the problem is mostly with the bocar carb, they are known to be very poor.

Does the engine ever stall at junctions, or stutter and bog down worse in cold or damp weather? :)

Cheers Tofu :) It does the above since changing the exhaust but not the cold weather bit, I doubt it's the air filter as it was running perfectly and did a 1300 mile trip round Ireland a few months back :/

I am going to try a new carb and if it's not that I give up lol

*Sam* said:
Without sounding like I'm taking every opportunity to sell you my stuff.... I also have an air filter.

I would think the problem is mostly with the bocar carb, they are known to be very poor.

Got any photo's of your carb Sam?

type2tattoo said:

Cheers Tofu :) It does the above since changing the exhaust but not the cold weather bit, I doubt it's the air filter as it was running perfectly and did a 1300 mile trip round Ireland a few months back :/

I am going to try a new carb and if it's not that I give up lol

So it only started after fitting a different exhaust?

The stuttering is often a sign of running a bit lean, so it could be that your carb pump jet needs to be adjusted to provide a bit more fuel when you put your foot down :) The different exhaust might have changed the engine running just enough to make a flat spot notable...

What exhaust is on it now? :)

type2tattoo said:
*Sam* said:

Got any photo's of your carb Sam?

Hi,
Sure no probs.

59a85acccb9f385c188401839eeb3f56.png

Hi Sam

If Type2Tattoo isnt interested in your carb, I am but obviously appreciate I'm second in the queue :)

Sorry guys I thought I had sent Sam a pm, a very nice company has offered to rebuild an old carb for me so I won't be needing it, go for it Graham L x x x