Thinking of engine up grade

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splitstop63

Reaction score
2.0 plus T1 engine long block I’m an absolute usless and know nothing so no abuse or over priced stuff please
Got things to trade and cash like brand new Slam works beam never fitted split screen drop spindles or good old cash also have exllent running 1.6 single port to px if you have a complete engine to px???
What’s about would buy with or with out tin were WHY??

Kind regards and thanks in advance Nick

Your gonna have to be a bit more specific about your engine requirements, do you want a nice cruising engine or a highly strung beast to piss off GTI’s? How much are you willing to spend? What do you consider overpriced?

Cheap, reliable and fast. You can only pick 2

Personally I’d avoid buying a 2nd hand big engine, get the funds together and go to a reputable engine builder who will build something to your requirements.

Exllent advice Ile start looking God bless you Sir Ile keep ya up dated thanks 🙏🏻

splitstop63 said:
2.0 plus T1 engine long block I’m an absolute usless and know nothing so no abuse or over priced stuff please
Got things to trade and cash like brand new Slam works beam never fitted split screen drop spindles or good old cash also have exllent running 1.6 single port to px if you have a complete engine to px???
What’s about would buy with or with out tin were WHY??

Kind regards and thanks in advance Nick
A couple of thoughts ...
It might be worth browsing Thelatebay as I think there are probably several threads on there about just this sort of thing.
I'm running an early on a 1600 twin port and will be sticking with that as it's mainly for wedding work. I also have a cross over project (72, early front, late back, roughly speaking) and a complete turnkey 1800 type 4 to go with that ... which I'm thinking of selling since it will be some time before it will get to see the shell!
If, when you've asked around some more, you think a type 4 could work for you, let me know in case I still have it.
The consensus seems to be that VW developed the type 4 out of the type 1 for a reason, that they're much more robust, but pricier to maintain if it ever comes to replacing major parts.
Happy hunting!
PS ... while it's a fair point about private sales versus builders I would say that not all builders are equal, some have unfounded good reputations and buying from reasonably well known forum members can be a safe way to do things if you take your time to suss it all out .....

If I were you I'd get the bus on the road with the 1600 and enjoy it for the summer. Speak to other owners and decide what you actually need. Work out the cost and get saving. Depending how much power you add you may need to budget for extras like gearbox and brakes. Start doing your mods over the winter so you don't lose the summer enjoying the bus. And get reccomendations if you are not doing the work yourself as there are too many horror story's around engine builders.

Valid points made about bad engine builders, PM me if you want to know who’s to be avoided. A member on here called Abel Alfonso is good, along with Hector Howe, Ritchie Webb, Ian Clarke at Wolfsburg performance and Mark Prosser at Auto Tecknics

K@rlos said:
Your gonna have to be a bit more specific about your engine requirements, do you want a nice cruising engine or a highly strung beast to piss off GTI’s? How much are you willing to spend? What do you consider overpriced?

Personally I’d avoid buying a 2nd hand big engine, get the funds together and go to a reputable engine builder who will build something to your requirements.

You mean you can only pick one 😉

paul_q said:
If I were you I'd get the bus on the road with the 1600 and enjoy it for the summer. Speak to other owners and decide what you actually need. Work out the cost and get saving. Depending how much power you add you may need to budget for extras like gearbox and brakes. Start doing your mods over the winter so you don't lose the summer enjoying the bus. And get reccomendations if you are not doing the work yourself as there are too many horror story's around engine builders.

I'd do this.
According to your other posts this is your first bay, so I'd just drive it as it is and then see what you want from it over the summer. Remember, suspension, brakes first, and then engine.
You never know, you may not get on with with it and chop it in for a T5/6.

K@rlos said:
Valid points made about bad engine builders, PM me if you want to know who’s to be avoided. A member on here called Abel Alfonso is good, along with Hector Howe, Ritchie Webb, Ian Clarke at Wolfsburg performance and Mark Prosser at Auto Tecknics

I can vouch for Ian's work - not that he needs it :) Ian reworked the motor in my bus (was previously a 1776) and it's now a tree-stump pulling 2028cc - massive amounts of fun to drive - even with the odd brown trouser moment LOL!!

Also, take heed of the advice from Karlos - he's a knowledgeable and trustworthy fellow :D

Bullet tooth said:
K@rlos said:

Pfffft, speak for yourself... My stroker Motor has never let me down. 8)

mcvw said:
K@rlos said:

I can vouch for Ian's work - not that he needs it :) Ian reworked the motor in my bus (was previously a 1776) and it's now a tree-stump pulling 2028cc - massive amounts of fun to drive - even with the odd brown trouser moment LOL!!

Also, take heed of the advice from Karlos - he's a knowledgeable and trustworthy fellow :D

Thanks Mike :D

K@rlos said:
Bullet tooth said:
K@rlos said:

Pfffft, speak for yourself... My stroker Motor has never let me down. 8)

Yet 😂

Bullet tooth said:
sparkywig said:
Bullet tooth said:

Why?

Show me a fast cheap engine

When did I ever say it was cheap :| it’s far from cheap, it’s very fast and very reliable. Done 1000’s of miles over the years. If you’ve suffered issues because you’re incapable of building a decent engine then I suggest you leave it to a professional engine builder.

Cheap, reliable engines aren’t fast
Cheap, fast engines aren’t reliable
Fast, reliable engines aren’t cheap

K@rlos said:
Bullet tooth said:
sparkywig said:

Show me a fast cheap engine

When did I ever say it was cheap :| it’s far from cheap, it’s very fast and very reliable. Done 1000’s of miles over the years. If you’ve suffered issues because you’re incapable of building a decent engine then I suggest you leave it to a professional engine builder.

Cheap, reliable engines aren’t fast
Cheap, fast engines aren’t reliable
Fast, reliable engines aren’t cheap
I never said you did did i? (Calm down) I picked 2 😉

Thank you for all & Dub the blubber the advice most appreciated

I’ve bought a temperey engine brand new re/con
When I say brand new I mean unfitted bought by a lovely young lady twin port to get the bus on the road as advised above absolute bargain I believe any way £450 with paperwork advisory to run in very pleased with that and will think on engine up grade in winter Many thanks to you all again most appreciated nick

sparkywig said:
paul_q said:

I'd do this.
According to your other posts this is your first bay, so I'd just drive it as it is and then see what you want from it over the summer. Remember, suspension, brakes first, and then engine.
You never know, you may not get on with with it and chop it in for a T5/6.

Just sold a shiny split to by a bay some say mad some say good on ya I’ve put a cash injection in to my business and bought the bay I’ve bought a narrow slam works beam it running mate bay discs nothing against T5/T6
I drive a new shape boxer as every day motor I’m a master of ceremonies and sporting Memrobilia auctioneer for my sins doing a average 50k year tonight and tomorrow over 1000 miles just about to leave for Scotland show tomorrow then London Sunday lol wish me luch thank you again for the advice never fancied T5 or 6 but never say never lol kind regards nick

Latest posts