Suitable drive away awning for a lowered Bay?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dico

Reaction score
Hi.

Having heard great reports about the Vango drive away awning we decided to go and purchase one.
The sales guy suggested we should try it against our van before we buy it as there had been issues with lowered vans. Sure enough it wasn't quite right. The mk 2 version has doors towards the van end, and these were quite baggy and spoilt it. This was the Kela Airbeam 11 Standard (the lower one of the two options). We were really gutted as it went up really quickly, and was a nice design.
Has anyone had any success in adapting it in any way? I was thinking of using a thick piece of pvc panel along the guttering to raise it the required amount, held in place a the figure of eight piece on each end, but that may be a bit bodgie! The sales guy suggested throwing straps over to the other side and pegging it down, along with a couple of other ideas. But none of these would tighten the door area as far as I could see.

Or, any alternatives that fit a lowered van, that are relatively easy to throw up? I think our is around 1.65 meters tall.

Cheers all :)

Does it need to go up by much?
You could try those yellow ramps that people use for levelling?
Good luck either way..

yep, I did think of them. It needs possibly 8 inches.
Cheers

We have the mk1 but haven't tried it with the van yet. Hopefully without the doors it should be OK. Our bus is slowly creeping up anyway :)

We have just bought a Quest Elite Drive away awning. Looks great, pops up like a Khyam but much cheaper.
Make sure you get the low version, I think it was £175.

Regards

Andy9

Khyam Tourer Quick Erect - not sure if you'll get you 8" though... :shock:
It's pretty good for Westy, which is fairly low. I think with any you will find that the water may pool in the tunnel between the awning and van, as on stock hight it would naturally run away from the van. You just have to be prepared to give it a gentle prod in the morning!

Latest posts