Soundproofing the roof?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisavx

Reaction score
Just in the middle of soundproofing and can't figure out whether soundproofing the roof makes any sense or not? Ours in a pop top so the original internal metal roof has a fibreglass shell over the top. Should I whack a few pieces on to stop any resonating? I don't think I need to do a full cover like I have done under the bed though? I'm using quickroof (as per Chris Vallone on the you tubes) rather than dynamat.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

We did ours in Dodomat, we were having a full new headlining fitted after our pop top was done so. I just thought it made sense to do it while the whole roof was stripped back. Now fitted, I think it makes a difference [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used Dynamat 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener. You cant see it as it is under the pop top. However you can see it when the roof is up.

I used Noise Killer Egg Box material for my roof :- http://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product/noisekiller-egg-box-material/

It's self adhesive but more importantly very light so unlikey to peel off due to weight like the Dynamite etc.......(I used this on the side panels and rear bulk head though) I went to town on the sound proofing & insulation on my current 68 and when compared to my old 69 which had nothing the difference is unbelievable.

We've done it with a few strips quick roof and covered it with a few layers of double bubble foil insulation. Hopefully that'll do the trick! Thanks for the advice

Word of warning. I used a similar product to quick roof to stop noise vibration the in my van. It worked brilliantly everywhere except the roof. In summer the heat on the roof caused the sticky side to Peel away.. luckily I found this out before the ply headliner had been fitted. Gravity and hot sun on the roof are a bad combination for products like quick roof.

Thanks. We thought about that but ours is a pop top so there's a layer of fibreglass over the top which should hopefully mean it won't heat up as much. And what's summer ha ha. Fingers crossed we won't have to redo it though 🤔

kempy said:
I used Noise Killer Egg Box material for my roof :- http://www.nkgroup.co.uk/product/noisekiller-egg-box-material/

It's self adhesive but more importantly very light so unlikey to peel off due to weight like the Dynamite etc.......(I used this on the side panels and rear bulk head though) I went to town on the sound proofing & insulation on my current 68 and when compared to my old 69 which had nothing the difference is unbelievable.

How did the noise killer work out for you ??

Zappa69 said:
kempy said:

100% would fit again in a van.

kempy said:
Zappa69 said:
kempy said:

Did you just use it in the roof section or else where to. I already have mass loading stuff to help with vibration.

Zappa69 said:
kempy said:
Zappa69 said:

Did you just use it in the roof section or else where to. I already have mass loading stuff to help with vibration.

I used the egg box only in the roof section plus self adhesive sheets inside the doors, panels & rear bulkhead. I also cut and fitted the sound barrier sheet material under my front cab mat and over the rear bulkhead running down behind the rock n roll bed.

Compared to my previous Westy which had no sound proofing what so ever the difference is huge.

kempy said:
Zappa69 said:
kempy said:

I used the egg box only in the roof section plus self adhesive sheets inside the doors, panels & rear bulkhead. I also cut and fitted the sound barrier sheet material under my front cab mat and over the rear bulkhead running down behind the rock n roll bed.

Compared to my previous Westy which had no sound proofing what so ever the difference is huge.

thanks Kempy

Latest posts