Restoring Wardrobe Units.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tjdixon

Reaction score
My winter project is to attempt to restore my wardrobe / cupboard units in my Westy.

The previous owner thought it would be a good idea to cut a couple of 6x9 speakers into wardrobe which I want to remove and fill - then re-laminate/veneer the unit to hopefully make it look like new.... or at least improve it.

Currently the unit is out of the van sitting in the garage awaiting some motivation from me to get it started.

My plan is;

Remove speakers, cut new wood (thickness matched to unit) to hole size - the only way I can think of fitting these is to have an oversized backboard fixed to the inside of the wardrobe with these fixed to that

Fill around the new wood to leave the surface flush.

Sand the entire wardrobe ready to take a new laminate.

So, my questions are;

1. What would be the best wood to use to fill the holes? Ply / MDF / other?

2. Where can I get Laminate / veneer from? been looking at this http://www.veneersonline.co.uk/Iron-on-veneer-Cherry-p/iocherrysheet.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - does anyone have any experience with this? its only 300mm wide so would have to be done it strips, will this be noticeable or can I get sheets large enough to carry out a complete unit in one?

3. Speaker locations - where is best? I was thinking of hiding them away in the units but it would mean having the doors open - or I cut some smaller ones in at better locations - alternatively I could put a couple under the front seats hidden away completely - I only use them while driving after all...

Any advice much appreciated.

Best picture I could find of the wardrobe in place.

what i would do mate is take the wardrobe to bits, use 9 or 12mm plywood (whatever thickness the existing side is) draw round the side that has been butchered onto your new piece and cut it out. no point wasting time/ bodging up the existing side in my opinion (you can always keep it incase you fancy pimping your ride :lol: )

as for the laminate i don't really know what to suggest but sure someone will be along to advise you, it would be possible to use the pieces you have suggested but would be hard i reckon to not see the joins

hope this helps

Sam

You can buy 8x4 wood veneer sheets online. I'm in Medway , Kent and picking a sheet up from http://www.prendonpanels.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Or you can buy smaller width sheets, but heard difficult to join side by side. I'm no expert, but looking to cover a unit myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Robins says nlavw do a match for that vaneer and it is an extremely good match.

NLA is the only place that duz a mint repro laminate/formica...... its what I use! 8)

NLA Link:

http://forum.earlybay.com/ebabm/abmc.asp?b=45&z=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for speaker location, There is no way I could chop mine in unless already there.
However, 80's speaker pods are not hard to come across and saves wrecking the interior.
Or maybe a false panel behind the bed cupboard so open it to blast your tunes and fold it up for show....

A guy who I sold a buddybox to a while back put 2 6x9s in the front and back which is another idea too, I have a 1000w JBL 10inch sub in mine! :mrgreen:

Ply and wood filler for the holes dude. :D

I've re-laminated mine, its quite a big job, I had to join two pieces of laminate on the side of the wardrobe, its not that noticeable. make sure you wear good gloves when you remove the old laminate, its very sharp and will cut you! I used contact adhesive to glue the new laminate, then a router to trim around the shape of the items, I'll see if i can find some progress photos.

AxlFoley said:
Make sure you wear good gloves when you remove the old laminate, its very sharp and will cut you! I used contact adhesive to glue the new laminate, then a router to trim around the shape of the items.

Good advise.

Also when laying on the new laminate, make sure you have lots of lengths of bamboo stinks or similar, lay these on the unit and the laminate on top, then slowly remove them one by one and put pressure on the laminate, this should limit any air bubbles.

worth a watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HiH3uUsxoI

Latest posts