Magazines and memorabilia....What to do?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who?1

Reaction score
I have collected every Volkswagen magazine I have ever bought. Subscribing to Volksworld and VwUltra. Got the odd Custom Car mag too if it had a VW in it.

I have also kept a lot of the leaflets and fliers that came with them. SSP, Big Boys Toys etc.

Now, do I junk the lot in the recycling, keeping hold of the odd magazine or are they worth anything to anyone?

There must be loads of magazines knocking around in our collections, mine go back to the early 90's but what to do?

Yep, I'm the same but also get compulsive so that if I start buying mags I have to then get the full set. Got complete sets of Volksworld, Ultra, Fl4t, Dubscene, TotalVW, hayburner ..... It's driving the missus nuts as they're all in the spare room.

I think my house has sunk an inch due to the boxes of magazines in the loft :lol:

They seem to be worth very little, money wise.

Next time I sort the loft out I think I will bin most of mine. Ive a full collection of Airmighty and Camper & Commercial so I'll keep those but the rest will go. Thats about 20 years of magazines, at some points it was 2/3 per month, so there has to be way over 600 magazines kicking about. Boxes of Scootering and Scooter Scene from the 80's and 90's too ... :lol:

I think alot of us have been there!

I can be a terrible hoarder of 'usefull' stuff that my wife thinks is junk! Until recently my magazine fix was classic car and motorcycle magazines and like you I had them stashed all over the place. All in pristine condition. I tried to sell them with absolutelty zero response and then offered them for free with the same result!

I resigned myself to accept that they were now junk so off to the tip for recycling they went. I hated being so wasteful. Maybe some of the 'rarer' ones (whatever that is!?) maybe worth keeping.

Good to have the space again in the house. Only had my Bay for a year and now the VW mags are creeping in................................It's an affliction! :D

I'm in the same position - I've got 'Car' magazine from 1975 onwards and lots of other motoring mags that ceased publishing decades ago.

I built a massive series of heavy duty shelves around the walls of the spare room to store them - this wasn't enough so the ones I value less are stacked in the garage floor to ceiling.

I'm lucky in that my wife hoards material for her craft hobby so any complaints get a response about that.

I know that I should get rid of a lot of them but........

I call it collecting, but the missus calls it hoarding. :lol:

A good idea is sort through them (this is the best bit ) and any with interesting stuff in keep in a pile.
Then, (and this is the tedious bit, cos you'll probably re-read the articles again) using a scanner, to turn them all into PDF files. Especially good for them how to guides you remember reading but can never find. Also it's good noticing the change in article/editorial styles over the years - the early volksword "how to's" are quite detailed as there isn't always loads of photos, whereas the later ones are photo heavy, but seem short on detail.

And then finally I boxed mine up.....and put them right back where I stored them originally! Job done!

If they are in mint condition , always keep the first 10 from the beginning.
They seem to be worth the most as time goes by.

J & P
:D :D :D

Latest posts