Ideas for sheared bolts...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zcat7

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Crossover
I'm trying to love my bus, really, but the f***ing thing is trying my patience!

Having finally solved my engine problems I was filled with renewed vigour and set about raising the rear by one spline today (been on the list for a while). Sailed through it all until the LAST 2 bolts on the 2nd side. The top 2 spring plate cover bolts on the offside sheared off. They were like butter, just fell off despite me having cleaned them and soaked them in WD40! So the questions are -

How do you set about drilling out the top right one that is obscured by the lower wing edge?
Why is the one I can get to blunting all my drill bits?
What size and thread are they (assuming I ever get the stumps out...)

I've already tried welding a nut onto the stub of one of them but it doesn't budge - just turns the weld off. I think I might have spilled the weld onto the spring plate itself though...

All advice gratefully received!

OK its sorted. I'd broken a small drill bit inside rear bolt and hadn't realised that I hadn't got it all out; that's why I was blunting drill bits! Took a ball end carbide burr bit to it and managed to fetch the old drill stub out. I then had a drill sharpening session and I got through OK. Tapped it to M10 x 1.5 and all is dandy. Couldn't shift the other one though and after another failed welded nut attempt I welded a stud on there and that was that.

I now have suspension travel again! Now ready to order some Gaz coilovers for the front to balance things up a touch.

And for your own sanity people, use a little copperslip on those babys if you get them off in one piece!

Latest posts