Hi from new 69 Westy owner

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pad

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Been lurking for a few weeks but thought I had best say hello now the beasty has arrived. My (nick)name is Pad and I live in sunny Brighton and am a bit of a petrolhead - pretty diverse taste in that respect really, if its got 4 wheels and something about it then I am interested... in order to fuel that unhealthy obsession I do a bit of trading cars which allows me to do up and drive some interesting cars and justify it to myself (and wife) on the thin veneer of some marginal profit... ;)

However, the interest has recently dried up a bit (and have got stung a couple of times with my 'danger cars'... BMWs) and I recently made acquaintance with someone who has imported a few US buses. Having had a crossover Bay in the past and with Mrs Pad loving the aircooled scene, the answer seemed to be staring me in the face. Why not start restoring buses, with the added benefit of both me and the wife working on them together. So we have managed to source the first project and we will see how it goes....

So, on Tuesday we took delivery of a SO67 Westy from Texas and am over the moon with it - it is very solid, needing only battery tray, bit of cab floor and a section behind front bumper needng welding which is a world apart from my UK crossover. It is really sraight down the flanks as well, and best of all the interior is complete and in excellent nick.

First thing is to fit engine and get it welded/prepped for MOT; once we have found out how much that is going to cost then we will decide whether to proceed with full on paint or sell on as a patina ride - sadly the paint is not OG but it has something about it but if funds allow I would love to paint it back in original L87. We will do all the work ourselves so I hope to be able to share this with you on here... and perhaps you can point out if I am going off the rails!!

Some photos of 'Ugly Betty' arriving this week..

IMAG0055Medium.jpg

IMAG0057Medium.jpg

little madam getting in on the action!!
IMAG0058Medium.jpg

january_2010_037Medium.jpg

january_2010_031Medium.jpg

january_2010_006.jpg

january_2010_002.jpg

Anyway, really looking forward to making some new aquaintances on here - I am an active member of a couple of other forums and have 'met' some really great people; I am sure here will be no different.

Laters,
Pad

Looks like you have your work cut out :shock:

Welcome and enjoy (and pictures as you do things) ;)

Cheers for the warm welcome, I certainly will be doing a restoring thread in the gallery section. We both want to get started this weekend but have a sick Galaxy that needs tending to so will see how it goes.

I have a huge advantage in that VW heritage is on the same trading estate that I work on so think I may be paying them a visit today.... :)

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a nice and solid bus , you were not kidding about the nice interior , it's in very good shape.

welcome to EB,

i think it looks really solid and has a great interior, i dont think itll take to long to have it whipped into shape.

Cheers, have just got a battery tray and the cab floor on order so time to dust off the MIG this weekend! Can't wait to get stuck in....

Hi Pad,welcome to earlybay - the gentlemens aircooled forum! :mrgreen: great first post mate, looks like you've hit the ground running,getting straight in there.we love pics so keep 'em coming.
kind regards - Rob (Doris)

Welcome!

Nice looking base you've got there - look forward to the progress :)

I also attempted to rope my wife into helping with the bus - 9 months and 1 half finished curtain later I'd say its going well :D

Cheers, we will see how the working with missus goes but I am sure it will be fine... we have 3 small children so get precious little time together.

Started work last night, will start the resto thread once a reasonable milestone is met.

Laters,
Pad

Pad said:
Started work last night, will start the resto thread once a reasonable milestone is met.
Start the thread before you start so we can see it from the beginning, always nice to see where you have progressed from and to

Latest posts