Front Disc Brake Issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padwah

Reaction score
After having my bus laid up over the winter I took it out for a spin at the weekend whilst the rain had stopped. Everything started off okay though it seemed a little sluggish, which I put down to lack of use, until I was just approaching home and the brake pedal went straight to the floor :shock: Anyway, I managed to nurse the van home for the last few hundred yards without breaking anything else and got a few minutes to look at it before the heavens opened once more.

It's a LHD 1971 Westy with the standard servo assisted disc brakes up front, and when I got back both front wheels were pretty hot to touch, the passenger side more so than the other. When I checked the brake fluid it was much higher than it should have been so I'm guessing that one or both brakes were stuck on and I basically boiled the brake fluid.

Once things had cooled down I got the van on some axle stands and whipped off the passenger side front wheel and the brake pads were firmly wedged up against the discs. I didn't get a chance to take off the other wheel but I could barely rotate it so I'm guessing it was in the same position.

Anyway, any ideas of what to do first? I'm not sure whether it's a master cylinder issue, a caliper issue, or maybe the wheel cylinders?

Custom and Commercial do a front disc service kit but it's not far off of the price of Just Kampers Conversion Kit.

Anyway, help and advice greatly appreciated!

Check whether its a mechanical or hydraulic problem.

First pull back the brake pedal and make sure its not sticking and you have free play.

If the pedal is ok then slacken off the pipe connection on the caliper till some fluid leaks out.

If the pads still stay stuck then its the pistons sticking in the caliper. (Often these iron calipers can be dismantled, cleaned up with 1200 grit and new seals and will work like new)

If the pads free off then its likely the flexy pipes that need replacing - they swell up internally when old and block themselves.

If the flexis check out as being ok (brake fluid flows freely though them) then its down to checking the master cylinder itself (this is rare).

Thanks for the pointers Trikky2, gives me somewhere to start my investigations! :)

I've had the same problem, and it turned out te be my calipers.
They got a bit stuck (rusty pistons) due to moisture during wintertime.
I took them apart and made them to go smooth again.
Hope this helps.

I'd try as said above it is worth checking the calipers and also maybe replacing the flexi hoses.

Both much cheaper to sort out and look into before you start replacing the master cylinder.

If you try all the above but find you need to replace the calipers, i have fitted the JK caliper conversion kit,complete with late bay calipers to my 71 westy with good results. :D

Thanks for all the advice, will get tinkering at the weekend and let you know how I get on!

Latest posts