• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale - my '72 bay (Gee Gee)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ar1n

Reaction score
Hello all :D ,

As like a few people that seem to be in the same position as myself - I've had this lovely camper (Gee Gee) for many years, but due to work I really don't have the time to give her the attention she deserves :( .

I'm in no major rush to sell - to be honest I'm happy to wait for the right person to take her. She's 40 this year and means a lot to me - standard :cry: .

Before you read on – I apologise if this all seems like a jumble of info on the van, there is so much info I want to put down and obviously don’t want to miss anything – so as it comes to me I’ll keep adding the info to the thread!

So, here's the info;

I've owned the camper since 2004. Since then she changed colour 2 years ago, and has had various panels replaced along the way. She's been lowered (adjustable at the front and 2 splines at the back).

The original engine has also been replaced as has the transmission. There is also a new bellow, bunk beds, seat covers and full size Bluebird bed in the back. All of the original Dormobile units have been removed, but the cooker in the front does remain - presume it still works, haven't tried it for 4 years, it is clean mind. All the locks work and there are new seals throughout most of the van. The front doors have Status VW seals – word of advice, if you have your own van and need new seals at the front – get ones from Status VW! New carpet set in the front also.

As you can see from the pics all the interior panel cards (is that what they're called ) have been made by myself and my girlfriend - they are all pictures which were taken in 1972 (the year the van was made :idea: )

Also, with the sale is a roof rack which attaches to the rear (not pictured) and 2 buddy seats which I have in the back, but haven't secured in (a pic of 1 of them is in the set above - they're both identical). Oh - and I've fitted a chrome badge to the front since these pics were taken!

Here is the info on the engine and transmission. I bought them from a chap on here roughly 8 months ago (needless to say it pulls like a train and can sit happily at 70mph on the motorway - with bags to give should you be daring enough :? )

This info is lifted straight from the ad from which I bought it;

The engine was built in 2009 in the shape of a 2056cc Type 4. All the machining and parts supplied by James Calvert at Stateside Tuning. Engine Specs are as follows:

• Case Acid Dipped, Hot Washed, Align Bored to +50 Thou, Oil Galleys Drilled and Tapped
• Unground 71mm 2 Litre Crankshaft. Crack Tested and Checked for Straightness. Dynamically Balanced With Fan, Flywheel and Clutch Cover.
• 2 Litre Conrods Fully Overhauled. New Small Ends, Shot Peened, End To End Balanced and Match Weighted.
• New 96mm Keith Black Pistons and Eurorace Barrels. Hastings Rings.
• New 2 Litre Square Port Heads, Polished Combustion Chambers, Port Matched With Inlet Manifolds, HD Valve Springs.
• New Web 86c Camshaft with New Bolt On Camgear
• SCAT Followers
• CB Performance Elephant Feet Rockers
• EMPI Inlet Manifolds Match Ported
• Original Italian 40mm Dellorto DRLA Carbs (Not Copies)
• CB Performance Hex Linkage
• New 200mm Type 1 Style Forged Flywheel
• New 200mm HD Clutch and Pressure Plate
• New Oil Cooler
• SCAT Deep Sump
• Melling Oil Pump
• All New Bearings /Seals Etc
• Compression Ratio 8.2 to 1

First 500 miles on Brad Penn Break In Oil. Then changed for Brad Penn 20/50 and Carbs tuned by Dave Bogg at Bogg Brothers on the rolling road.

90 BHP at the Wheels (120bhp at fly wheel?)

Built for reliability not all out power. Those in the know will recognise the strength of the Type 4, that’s why the Germans love them. With 90 BHP It pulls like a train and coupled with the High Ratio ‘Box it will cruise all day at 70-75 mph with the engine only doing 3400 rpm. It’s enough to shock T25 owners and some T4 ones at that!

The Gearbox was built by the well-known Pete Englesos at Cogbox in 2008. It had a full rebuild into a High Ratio unit for comfortable motorway cruising.

As it was made in 1972 it has disc brakes up front and the larger indicator lenses at the rear.

A lot of the body work, and the paint job, was done my Mark at V Dub Resto in Bristol - http://www.vdubresto.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most recently the engine, transmission, lowering, and countless other bits have been completed by Grant at BeetleLink - http://www.beetlelink.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The van isn’t perfect. These are the things that I would do;

Headlining needs to put in throughout the van
The bellow doesn’t have the ribs attached to it – this needs to be done
There are a few bits of the body work which aren’t brilliant – I’ll add pics when I get a chance (basically some cracks in the paint near the front arches and on the rear hatch on the inside there is a bit of rust coming through near the seal).
I have a new chrome handbrake to fit – probably not going to get round to doing this for a while (needless to say it comes with the van)
The pedals could do with rubber covers
I would get a blanket to cover the cushion above the engine bay – it’s so far out from the colour of the rest of the seats!
There isn’t a stereo – could do with one of those if that’s your thing.

In November last year the the front axle was replaced with a Cali import and all of the brakes were replaced. This was also when the rev counter and other gauges were fitted.

Also, just as a note the speedo and petrol gauge work just fine

Should have also said this earlier - the MOT is until November this year and it's taxed until June 2013. It's free anyways - whoop

Price wise – I know I’m not going to get the £’s back that I’ve ploughed into this camper over the year – but I don’t care – I’ve driven it across Europe (Germany, Holland, Belgium and France) and taken her to various festivals – and fun times certainly have been had !

I want £11.5k. Would consider a PX - try me!

Please do call/text me if you need more info – 07832 100440.

Pea’s.

I have dropped the price to £11.5k. Although I think she's definitely worth more - the more I have thought about what I could do with the £'s the less patient I have become. Especially after looking at various T5's for the last 2 hours :idea: !

Any questions, or if you would like to come and see her - just give me a shout.

Cheers :)

So, I'm no longer testing the water!

If you want to see more - Gee Gee is on eBay - 160839588972

I've also added another set of pics on flickr;

Hope you're all having a great weekend!

:D

Hello all,

I would really like to sell her this weekend, so am happy to listen to offers as close to £9.5k as possible - I'm around all weekend if you'd like to come & see her. She's based in Clapham, London - closest station is Clapham Junction - train in, drive home - simples :D

Latest posts