Cycling question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I know there are some cyclists here and I would like advice. I own a Giant hybrid. I want to do a sprint triathlon in the new year. I have run marathons and halfs I am sorting my swimming but have concerns about my bike. Don't want to buy new. Can't afford it so thought I would change my handlebars for road bike one. Is there any point. Will it aid my cycling. Or will TT bars be better?

For anyone who has done triathlons can I rock up in my swimming shorts. It's in a pool by the way. Then have cycling trainers with my hybrid and then my good running trainers for the run. Any advice welcome. Cheers

Hi. I have done a lot of time trials. Aero bars would be a big help but it's a bit uncomfortable from normal riding position and takes some getting used to. The more aero you are the faster you go. Good luck.

^whs. I have done a fair few triathlons and 6 Ironmans almost more obsessive about that than my van :D.

In terms of sprint tri depends if you want to win or finish a decent road bike will help and tri bars will get you more aero, but if it's your first tri a road bike will be fine.

Would say a tri suit will make things easier for you as you can swim bike and run in this so saves lots of time in transition which is key in a sprint tri. Shoes it's whatever you run best in / is most comfortable but elastic laces will help massively in transition time.

Tri Uk hire giant defy road bikes for the tri season for ~100quid so worth a look instead of having to switch handlebars etc on your hybrid. Depends on the race but you could do on your hybrid (check with race organisers).

My tri teams coach has a website with some handy training progs and videos etc here https://www.jamesbeckinsale.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Main thing as your first tri is to enjoy it :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers for replies. It's going to be either the Carmarthen or Brecon Sprint. So 400m in the pool. 20k bike and 5k run. I'm not out to win at 49 my fitness is good but I'm hoping to be in the top 50%. Only just completed a sub 2hr Cardiff half and have cycled for over 20k on the Taff Trail so just got to combine these. I can use the Hybrid in the events according to the websites.

I'm not a good swimmer although I'm starting to do 3 sessions a week in the pool (keep forgetting to kick my legs). I find my hands hurt when I cycle so I think I'm putting to much pressure on them. Bike set up wrong? So the TT bars seem to be the answer although there are the braking problems. Really looking forward to this. Starting to train now as I can be really competitive

i converted my road bike to flat bars from drop bars as they do my back no good which I use to commute to work 10miles each way. having been an avid mountain biker for years, entering quite a few 12 and 24 hr team races and the odd endure more recently, i'd concentrate more on simply getting the bike you have set up as your get more performance from that than simply chucking on some tri bars. loads of cycle forums have info on getting the saddle in the right position to ensure knees are over pedals to optimise, saddle height, distance to bars etc.

http://cyclingtips.com/2009/05/efficiency-of-pedal-stroke-ankling/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

them tri bars risk being like bolting on vw engine dress up parts - pointless!

I reckon your best tactic is to get behind someone else and follow close to slipstream them - which requires hands close to brakes at all times! you'll get far more aerodynamic benefit being behind someone even with wider bars

i'd also consider cleats or at least toe straps

Latest posts