Group buy- Delrin bush for shift rod

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll be a while before I'm ready to install mine but I have been wondering about this. Would it help to soak it in hot water, let it loosen up and be more flexible?

I’m not sure what the properties of Delrin are so I don’t know about heat etc.
I feel mine has a slight ‘step’ on its inside which might be catching on the mounting pin. Or, it’s so tight a fit the angle of approach needs to be perfect, and isn’t right now. It’s quite tricky as there’s not a whole lot of room to move within.

I’d run a drill down it to clearance it … but that’s defeating the object, right? :D

I’m not sure what the properties of Delrin are so I don’t know about heat etc.
I feel mine has a slight ‘step’ on its inside which might be catching on the mounting pin. Or, it’s so tight a fit the angle of approach needs to be perfect, and isn’t right now. It’s quite tricky as there’s not a whole lot of room to move within.

I’d run a drill down it to clearance it … but that’s defeating the object, right? :D

Clem, try lube first. You definitely can’t go wrong with talcum powder. I’d leave clearancing alone for a bit,

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,bit of lube,,, Ooohhh errr Mrs. :)

Hi Clem - DONT use a drill or heat.
It seems mine is too short. Yours too I assume. I’ve put pictures up.
Basically it doesn’t push through enough to allow the spigots to click and open up fully. That’s why the male part is binding up.
A1347493-CA9F-487C-BC39-1E81E67C0D57.jpeg

B85DD9F5-103B-4728-A5BB-E91A769AA088.jpeg

I’ve contacted Mike to explain… obviously not Mikes doing and no reflection on his fantastic work he did for us all.

Attachments

• E275DD0E-AB0A-47C1-853F-1E719867AF01.jpeg
    E275DD0E-AB0A-47C1-853F-1E719867AF01.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 0
I measured the length of the internal ‘step’ on push rod and delrin bush not long enough to clear. I believe mine is original fitting so no issue with mis matched / non standard fit etc.
Hopefully Mike can contact supplier to seek a suitable solution I feel bad that he may now have to deal with all that …. i’m happy to take it up on his behalf if necessary. Hope that all makes sense.

Has anyone managed to get theirs to fit ??

I measured the length of the internal ‘step’ on push rod and delrin bush not long enough to clear. I believe mine is original fitting so no issue with mis matched / non standard fit etc.
Hopefully Mike can contact supplier to seek a suitable solution I feel bad that he may now have to deal with all that …. i’m happy to take it up on his behalf if necessary. Hope that all makes sense.
Good work there, yes, makes sense.

Did they send Beetle ones?

I've not had an opportunity to try mine either, but i suppose i might have just wasted my dinner break drawing my part up so i wouldn't forget its details once fitted, if it worked in improving my gears.

T2a front gear linkage bush.jpg

Last edited:
I've not had an opportunity to try mine either, but i suppose i might have just wasted my dinnerbreak drawing my part up so we had a record of the design for future ref.

View attachment 8042
Nice 👌
Just need to confirm the critical measurement from inside of flange to spigot then we’re cooking with gas. Delrin available online ready to machine (£90 for 3m)

This time next year Rodney … 😂👍

Sorry to read this 😫

I think we have two ‘don’t fit’ at the moment. I’m away from home right now. I’ll try to fit mine at the weekend. If another two people can try theirs and report back on this thread. If they don’t fit either obviously there’s a problem with the bushes. I’ll then contact the company. I would advise just fitting it by pressing it in and maybe a little grease. But don’t start heating or altering it as it’s supposed to fit 67-73 buses. Let’s take it from there.
I’ve asked Steve (Yellowbay69) to contact the company with the pictures above and measurements and see what they say. The fact is they are all the same I’m sure I saw all 20 of them when they arrived.

Thanks Mike, mine was waiting for me when we got back from holiday last night.

I definitely think the wrong part has been sent. I found this other bush on my “parts not yet fitted shelf” and it’s clearly different in size as Steve has suggested.

I’ll wait and see what the supplier comes back with before getting my hands dirty 👍

IMG_7586.jpeg

I cant see any other bushes for other models on their website now at all (Type 1 and Splitbus are the same type on other websites) now, so its hard to think they have sent the wrong parts, unless I'm missing something. Seems odd they could get this so wrong, but I'm interested to hear a response from them.

Just to let you guys know I’ve emailed the company and given them all relevant info and photos and have asked them to contact me with a suitable resolution given the shipping costs and taxes involved.
Can I assume everyone would be happy if they can ship new Delrin bushes that fit ??
As soon as I hear back I’ll post response on here.
I won’t agree to anything until we are all happy with the resolution they offer.
🌈👍
Steve

Thanks Steve.
I hope this wont turn out to be too much of a nause - just the possibility of gathering all the old ones back, return postage costs and then potential import duties on the replacements ....

I’m hoping they’ll just ship replacements.
Found their address anyways … gotta love Google Maps.
😎

Attachments

• 6EE1C2C1-D67C-489C-B40D-83F4C6305E85.jpg
    6EE1C2C1-D67C-489C-B40D-83F4C6305E85.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0